Sunday, February 3, 2008

Juniper Creek

I have been talking to my Dad recently about going to Juniper Springs and canoeing down the run. So today I had the chance to go paddling and decided that would be a good place to go. I drove down and put in at the wayside park on Hwy. 19. I paddled for a couple hours upstream. And it only took me an hour to make it back downstream. The current was really running strong today. I talked to the canoe rental guy and he said the rain they had earlier in the week raised the water level and was making the current a little faster.

I have been here before but it was many, many years ago with my Grandfather. He would go every year and camp for 5 or 6 weeks and spend a lot of time on the water. We would go and camp and canoe with him. My Dad caught an 11 pound Bass in the lake one year. 

There were 2 turtles on this log till I raised the camera to take a picture. As I was about to take the picture one of them slid off the log. I did catch the water splashing up in the air. I thought that was cool so that is why this picture was posted. The second turtle decided to stay on the log. He did keep a close eye on my however. 
 

This picture is of the weeds( I hate calling it weeds because it is quite nice to look at) The weeds are very long and flow with the current. They sway back and forth and are very pleasing.  The weather was in the upper 70's and blue sky with not too many clouds. You couldn't ask for a nicer February Day. Now I just have to decide where to paddle next weekend. I am open to suggestions, leave a comment.


This is another picture of the creek and also some clouds that were building up. They had that thunderstorm look but it wasn't quite warm enough. I think if it would have made it into the 80's we would of had a chance for afternoon thunderstorms. They did bring a little breeze which was nice.  I continued my mission of picking up trash while on the water. I had my new grabber thing and took a trash bag. I managed to get several cans, a styrofoam cup and 2 shoes that didn't match. In all I got 11 pieces of trash. If people would just be a little more careful I might come back empty handed. (empty bag anyway) I can always dream:-)



1 comment:

Dave said...

I don't know if you have heard that the Wayside has been closed to launching.

Here is a link to an article I posted on the Green Wave Forum.

http://www.clubkayak.com/greenwave/showpage.asp?page=0630juniper

Based on experience, links in these comments often don't work, so just put "Green Wave Kayak" in your search engine, then click the Articles link in the left hand column.