Monday, July 28, 2008

Back on the Wacissa

The stars must have been aligned or something like that.

The kids are spending the week at their grandparents house in Jay, Florida and Tami is working in Tallahassee for a couple of days. I drove over and meet her. We went to dinner with friends at a place called Masa's it is a Japanese restaurant I definitely want to go there again. This morning I got up and drove to the Wacissa River. This is a very nice river and I think it is worth the drive even with $4 gas. This first picture is the river fairly early. The fog burned off pretty quick. 
The water was as still as glass. A little breeze came up later and keep it pleasant out on the water.
I went over to try and sneak up on a Tri-colored Heron (next picture) and this Butterfly came around and wasn't shy. I managed to get some good pictures and ended up close to the heron.
I spotted this Tri-colored Heron This one was standing there watching me take pictures of the butterfly and patiently waited his turn to model. I took several pictures and even backed away without him moving. These birds can stand still for so long. This one outlasted me. 
This Egret was fishing and keeping an eye on me. It was just starting to rain. The first of several passing showers. The first few I didn't even have to get out my rain jacket. 
I had lunch out on the river and then paddled back in the rain. It was just rain showers without any thunder or lightning. For the last mile upstream it was raining pretty good. I kept the camera in the dry bag and past by lots of birds that were just going about their business. It was good to be back out on this wonderful river. The first 4 hours I had it completely to my self. I saw a couple kayaks and 2 john boats and lots of birds.

2 comments:

Peggy said...

How great that you got on my favorite river!!

That's actually a tricolored heron you have there under the butterfly.

It's amazing how these birds love to pose. I recently went to the lower end of this river and they are more shy there, though you can still photograph them. Let me know next time you will be paddling there, maybe we can meet!

Emory said...

This is my 3rd trip here I am going to be paddling there tomorrow as well. From morning till sometime after lunch.

I left my bird book at home so I didn't want to misname any birds. I am planning on working on this post a little more and putting the correct bird names. I was really happy with the butterfly pictures. This was no cropping or photoshopping. You gotta love it when you are ready for an opportunity like that.