Sunday, July 6, 2008

Birds of Exchange Island

This Egret was coming in for a landing and spotted me and made a slight turn so as not to overfly me. This bird looks very elegant flying through the air with its wings outstretched. You can see how translucent the feathers are. It is amazing how something so thin and lightweight can hold up a bird.
This Great Blue Heron was flying along the shoreline looking for a place to land. He flew past me and landed about 1/4 mile down shore. He sure looked good going by. 
I spotted this Snowy Egret and was able to paddle along the shore line and get pretty close and take several pictures. The reeds came out and I just paddled up to the reeds and sat there taking pictures. This bird knew I was there but I was partially hidden and apparently not threatening. I was able to back away after taking my pictures. This picture was taking on my way back to the boat ramp. I had already picked up trash along the shoreline in this area so there is nothing in the background to ruin a good photo.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy to see some really neat photos. The birds are so pretty, even better when the background is trash free. Thanks for what you do picking up trash, that people are so lazy to do for themselves.

Dave said...

I was looking at the snowy egret thinking, "nice there is no trash" knowing you encounter plenty on Exchange Island. Then I read on, including the prior post, and now I know why there is no garbage in the picture.

Thank you.

Emory said...

Dave :

I am afraid what I am going to find after a holiday weekend. We just keep picking it up one piece at a time. I also try to talk to other boaters and ask them to pick up at least one more piece then they brought with them. I usually get a positive response.

Em

Anonymous said...

I think maybe it is time to leave a sign in the camping area not only asking people to not trash the island, but to also try to take any trash you come upon and dispose of it.