Sunday, January 27, 2008

Blue Springs, Orange City

The Case of the Missing Canoe
I drove to Blue Springs today to go paddle. I carry my canoe down to the water and return back to the car to get the rest of my gear; Lifejacket, Paddle, Camera. Walk back to the launch area and my canoe is missing. My first thought was I went down the wrong boardwalk. Then I thought someone stole it. Then I got to thinking they rent canoes and someone must have taken it by accident. I walk back up the boardwalk and see one of the Rangers. I tell her my canoe is missing. She calls the law enforcement people that are at the park. A Dept. of Environmental Protection officer shows up.(Quickly) I explain what happened, he calls another officer. A female office shows up and tells me they have an officer in a boat and she will ask him to look for my canoe. She was very helpful and waited with me while the search was under way. My boat was found and the people were asked to return it to me. I didn't ask any names so I can't thank the people that helped. I know they were just doing their jobs but they acted in a very professional manner to everyone involved. (Thanks very Much)

Out on the Water


I see this Osprey flying right towards me I take a few pictures and then notice he is carrying a fish. Did I mention it was windy, he was flying pretty slow upwind. But he did have lunch.

I paddled over to the side of the river because I saw this Snowy Egret working his way along the shore. If you look closely you can see the minnow in his beak. I bet I saw him catch 20 of them in the time I was watching. 


He walked right around the front of my boat. I was making sure to be extra still and not make any sudden movements. He just continued on with the business of catching lunch. 

I did see some manatees while waiting for my boat to be returned. when I was on my way back I passed by this one pretty close. I was drifting with the wind so I didn't even have to paddle. I did take pictures as I went by. It looks like the manatee has it's mouth open. 

It was a nice day out. The park was crowded but the manatees were out in big numbers. I had to actually ask people to move so I could carry my boat up the hill.  It was a nice day the wind made it a little more challenging But it was quite a nice day. 

3 comments:

Steve said...

Hi. I found your blog through Peggy's, and I like it. This was a good posting. Glad you got your canoe back. Did the people take it accidently?

Emory said...

Steve:

I did get my boat back and the people were very embarrassed. I was just happy to get my boat back and be on my way. It turns out my boat was the same color as the rental boats. It gave both of us a good story to tell as a bonus.

Dave said...

Makes me glad I have a kayak ;)
On a recent trip to Blue Spring, I watched some renters put life jackets and paddles in the "Manatee Research Canoe", so posted on the bow in capital letters. Not to mention a State Park logo. And its green, among all the silver rental canoes. I wondered how long the chuckleheads would take to figure out it wasn't a rental, Finaly, they saw the chain and padlock. D'oh !