Thursday, May 8, 2008

Animals of Exchange Island

as soon as I got on the island I spotted these tracks. I believe they are raccoon. They disappeared into the thick underbrush so I didn't follow them too far. There were a ton  of birds on the island. They weren't very cooperative and kept their distance. They would manage to stay in just enough brush to make them hard to photograph.
I was drifting along the shore line and watched this egret go in for a landing on the island. While I was changing lenses I almost drifted over these manatees. When I looked up my first thought was I was about to drift into a rock. As I was back paddling trying to avoid the rock it moved and I saw it was a manatee. I managed to get a few pictures as they moved off into deeper water.
I spotted this Cormorant flying along. I really like these birds. They are good flyers and they swim as well. And they have the coolest Turquoise eyes
Not a great day for wildlife photography, however I did see 2 manatees some egrets, ospreys, and some small greenish birds. I didn't see the owner of the tracks but they still made an impact on me. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was happy to see your update on you. I like how you always take in everything around you everyday and find joy about whatever goes on. most people do not see what presents we are given to them everyday, no matter how they are shown. I liked the pictures, and am glad you left sharp toes alone.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I just found your blog searching for exchange island. I have been going there for some 20 odd years and was just fishing there yesterday, as I do at least once a week. An odd thing I have noticed about the raccoons on the island is that they are all an orange tint. I am not sure if this is from the soil or maybe their diet. I have seen many there and they are always very thin. I have a pontoon boat and try to pick up bags of trash on occasion. It seems that whenever anyone camps there, they always leave a ton behind.