Sunday, May 25, 2008

Trash pick-up

I thought I would start this entry out with a nice picture. These flowers are growing in big patches all over Exchange Island. Last weekend the weather was bad enough to keep my off the water. Today the weather was a bit nicer. I started out paddling up current but downwind. This did make for some small waves. The boat handled it quite well, and paddling wasn't too hard.
This is a picture of my boat sitting on the shoreline notice the trash bags. I picked up 2 bags of trash within site of my boat. I was able to pick up about 30 bottles in one pile. I was really surprised at how much styrofoam I picked up. I found about 200 plastic screw top lids as well. The wind was blowing and starting to pick up so I cut my trip a little shorter then planned. I had another bag that I planned on filling. I talked to a couple in a kayak out on the water Frank and Lisa and they said they would fill up the bag so all is well.

This is a picture of a campsite on the island it just makes me angry that people would just leave this kind of mess. Now if they come back they are greeted to the trash and will probably just move to a different spot and leave that one a mess as well.
I wanted to end with a nicer picture The shoreline is quite nice even with the bridge in the background. This is a nice place to paddle and hang out. I have already picked out the next spot on the island where I will pick up trash next time. 
Just remember there is plenty of trash to go around so if you are on the water take a few pieces with you and talk to every one you can and see if you can get them to do the same. I think we can get a handle on this and it starts with people talking about carrying out what they take in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saw a bunch of manatee and dolphin out there this sunday. Very windy. Also saw some people on the beach with a flashlight around 9pm. Hope they were cleaning and not trashing.

Emory said...

I am with you on the hoping they at least didn't leave any extra trash. It was sure windy on Sunday. I was out early and the wind seemed to be building. The question is did you catch anything? THere was one boat fishing just offshore while I was there but I didn't see them catch anything. I could tell they were interested in what I was doing and perhaps it will catch on.