Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The bad side of the island

I spotted this boat along the shore line it is obviously home made I would be afraid ride too far in this boat. It does sport quite a paint job however. The bad news is it is abandoned here on the island. I can imagine the builders running this thing up on the beach afraid to continue any further in this craft.
This was a piece of plastic the I think had blown off the bridge and landed here in the trees. 
This is part of some body's floating dock and of course it is surrounded by smaller pieces, cups, bottles and such.
More plastic trash.
Enough complaining about people littering. I am going to take matters in my own hands and start cleaning up this island. Over the next several weeks I plan on returning there every chance I get and picking up as much trash as possible. I will have to work on the big things and figure something out. Some of that stuff just won't fit in my canoe. The River keeper has a program for adopting a shore line I am going to adopt this island. My challenge to other boaters is to return with a few more pieces of trash then when you leave. We all enjoy the outdoors. Do your part and pack out what you take in and if you can bring another piece or two out even better. 

2 comments:

Tina said...

Good for you! No reason for an island to have a bad side. If more people not only thought, but acted like you, we could clean up this planet. I try to do what you suggested, when we camp: take out a little more trash than we take in.

Emory said...

Tina;

Thanks for the comment. I am going back there this weekend to not only walk around some more but I plan on bring out a lot of trash.

I always ask people to start small just bring out 1 extra piece. What a difference that would make.