Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Black & White Wednesday Suwannee River

This is the view looking out the front of the boat. This river has sand bars on one side and limestone cliffs on the other. The current washes the sand away to reveal the limestone cliffs and overhangs. 
On the right side of this picture is sandy shores and the left is ricky shores. The water is very dark. It reflects everything.
This Cyprus tree was down by the water by itself. It makes me wonder how long it has before the river claims it and the tree begins its journey down stream.
"The Wind is my friend"

It was quite windy on the river both days. One thing I have learned from all my years boating is the wind will almost always be on the nose(Blowing straight from the direction you want to go) Of course being in a canoe from the side is almost worse. The ripples on the water is a puff of wind coming from about a 45 degree angle. The other thing of note is when the body of water isn't very wide and you see good size ripples you know the puff is pretty strong.
I saw this Turkey buzzard eating on something. The current was sweeping me directly towards him. I took a few pictures and was trying to avoid getting caught up in the debris. As I paddled away I saw he was working on a dead alligator and then I saw the rest of his buddies sitting further up in the tree. Once I got clear of the stuff in the water I had a bad angle for any more photos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to come to enjoy Wed. it put a whole new look to the photo's. The wind coming at you from any direction sounds a little hard, unless your going downwind.