Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Sights along the Suwanee River

This past weekend I spent 2 days on the river and camped over night. (More on that later) This picture was soon after starting. Notice the limestone overhangs. In places where the river turns you have rock on the outside of the curve and sand banks on the inside. The water is full of tannin so the water is almost black. It is pretty clean but very dark. It makes for these wonderful reflections in your pictures.


This was a root from a Cyprus tree. It reminded me of either an elephant or maybe even an Aardvark. It was a very cool natural formation.
This is a male Cardinal, I saw several of these. This was the only one that was nice enough to pose for me.
I camped on this sand bank. When I woke up in the morning there were all these little tracks running all over the place. It took me a while to find this guy. He can be seen making tracks. Just going about his business. I imagine they were looking for food. 
This was the only turtle I saw all weekend. He was about a foot long, and very shiny.
Viewing wildlife from the  Suwanee River is pretty tough. The banks are for the most part high and very steep. They are also mostly limestone. I heard a ton of birds all weekend. Most I never saw. I also saw a lot of them that were in a hurry or back further in the trees making them selves harder to photograph. The other thing that makes it tough is the current was running pretty strong. It would sweep you right by stuff.  Stay tuned for Black and White Wednesday.

No comments: